Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Future Self

As part of  by Tara Mohr's Playing Big program we've been asked to think about our "future selves" and to consult with our future selves for conundrums of today.   I have issues with this for a number of reasons.

The problems of today can't be solved with the level of thinking that created them in the first place. 
Einstein.  

If I imagine a future self and ask her for help with current puzzles, I'm really only asking myself. And myself is part of what created the puzzle I'm in to begin with.

A different perspective than my own is probably more likely to yield new information and new ideas to solve current puzzles. Spouses and friends are extremely helpful in clarifying my thinking by providing a different way of looking at it.  Famous people can too. Thinking about questions from photographer Imogen Cunningham, US newspaper executive Katherine Graham or US business woman's Rosabeth Moss Kanter's perspective is likely to yield richer input.

Life isn't one straight line.  Most of us have to be transplanted, like a tree, before we blossom.


And above and beyond all that is asking my God for divine inspiration and wisdom through the Holy Spirit.

James 1:5 promises, "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." (NIV)

Unfortunately, the only thing I got from the "future self" exercise was the word "biceps".

No comments: