Tuesday, April 5, 2011

2 Sunflowers Caress: Rule of Thirds

I've joined the 10 Day SITS Girls Spring Into Action Photo Challenge. The first day's assignment on Composition was to apply both unusual perspective and the rule of thirds.

It was getting near the end of the day so I grabbed what was in my environment, a vase of sunflowers in the kitchen. Once I got the image into Photoshop it wasn't quite working for the rule of thirds. So I put in some thirds guides and began to crop until I could get interesting content in more of the thirds, moving the guides to the right place for the smaller size. The above is the result. The below is the original SOOC.

Most of the visual activity in the original version on the left runs along a diagonal band across the photo.  It isn't really in or near the target intersections which are the yellow lines.

You can see the new cropped version with guides and targets on the right. More of the visual activity occurs closer to the targets.

6 comments:

Kristin @Ellie-Town said...

Great photos! The colors are beautiful!

Jennifer said...

Thanks Kristin!

Amy @ babybabylemon said...

The rule of thirds is so easy to see with the gridlines! Super informative post

Jennifer said...

Amy, I'm glad it worked!

LaVonne @ Long Wait said...

They are great photos! Thanks or sharing this with all of us.

I am visiting from the SITS Spring Photo Challenge forum. Glad to find your post!

Long Wait For Isabella

Jennifer said...

Lavonne, thanks for stopping by! The SITS Challenge has been really fun to learn with.