Friday, February 25, 2011

Battles of the Mind: Making It

Do you ever have trouble going to sleep at night because you're worried about "making it"? I do sometimes. Anxious and intimidated I think:

  • I will not make it being a mother, for I have no children.
  • I will not make it as a runner, being an 8:00 to 10:00 minute miler.
  • I will likely not, probably not make it to the top of the heap in corporate america or perhaps not even to the next rung.

Then I shake myself and remember to be thankful for in many ways I have "made it". In no particular order:

  • I have a husband who loves me and whom I love.
  • I have a great women's bible study.
  • I have a job that enables me to live in comfort.

There's more but by this list alone I have "made it" in many important ways.

If I didn't have anything, would I still have made it? Remember Job.  Everything he had, the Lord gave him. Everything I have, the Lord gave me. God took all of Job's haves away not for the purpose of hurting him but to show Satan that Job loved God for nothing. When nothing was left but some questionably useful friends, Job still believed in, prayed to and loved God.

What is worth having in God's sight? I found one thing at least:
"Your beauty....should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet inner spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves be beautiful." I Peter 3:3-5. 

Here's another translation:
"What matters is not your outer appearance - the styling of your hair, the jewelery you wear, the cut of your clothes - but your inner disposition. Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. The holy women of old were beautiful before God that way, and were good, loyal wives to their husbands....You'll be true daughters of Sarah if you do the same, unanxious and unintimidated."

Having "made it" is putting my hope in God, not being anxious, not being intimidated. The context is what matters in drawing husbands to Christ but it could also be drawing others to Christ. I won't be dressing like a slob anytime soon. However,  I will focus on  "making it" by cultivating inner beauty that God delights in by putting my hope and my trust in God and in his plans for my life. How 'bout you?

No comments: