Sunday, January 2, 2011

Friends

There's something in the air about friendship. It's like a drumbeat and the the beats I've heard over the past few months are increasing in frequency:

  1. It all started in the summer when my friend Dar kept persistently and pleasantly inviting me to join the Women's Bible Study. (I had been away for 10 years.)  I went to their summer potluck and at the time was debating but honestly, those ladies are too charming to resist. In the last several months I haven't regretted attending once. 
  2. In December I was telling my friend Emm that I'd like to be a better friend. She said she was thinking the same thing too!
  3. We celebrated A's birthday yesterday. I don't know A well but she's a Bible Study member and I thought it would be fun to just be supportive and enjoy the company of these lovely ladies.  At said celebration, my friend Dar gave everyone unique notebooks, some with decorative quotes.  Mine happened to say, "The better part of one's life consists of his friendships." ~ Abraham Lincoln
  4. Yesterday, at church, the pastor's sermon was all about the value of community, how we strengthen each other, hold each other accountable....
  5. And today, NaBloPoMo is devoting the whole month of January to the topic of friends.

I think I'm getting the message! 2011 will be a year of focusing on friends!

No comments: