Monday, January 3, 2011

Acts of Friendship

One way to be a good friend is to "Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn." Romans 12:15 NIV 2010

Birthdays are easy times to rejoice with friends and family by remembering to call or send an e-mail or send a card. With Google Calendar or Microsoft Outlook calendar this remembrance has gotten more scalable. And with people having often moved away from families, it's a good time to hear "Happy Birthday!" This week I have 3 birthdays to celebrate in some way as a way of rejoicing with those who rejoice.

Deaths in the family are times to mourn with those who mourn.  I know my tendency is to not want to acknowledge the loss, to just keep right on going as if everything were normal.  But it's not. So might as well face up to it and acknowledge the loss of my friend. This week I know of one person who had a death in the family over the holidays. I think just offering to have lunch or coffee would help in this time of mourning.

Have a good first Monday of the year,
Jennifer



No comments: