Thursday, December 16, 2010

Setting the Lonely in Families

This verse has been on my mind for a few weeks now:

God sets the lonely in families (Psalm 68:6a)

I decided recently to rejoin my women's bible study - the same one I went to for  2 or 3 years ten years ago. They have given me much. Each one cares immensely about her children, now grown, and follows their travails and triumphs avidly. Those without have more attention span for others. I see this in them:

Sing barren woman, you who never bore a child;
burst into song, shout for joy, you who were never in labor;
because more are the children of the desolate woman than of her who has a husband (Isaiah 54:1)

There are 2 different kinds of lonely (at least). The kind in Psalm 25:16, the kind under duress:

Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted.

And the kind under eustress Luke 5:16:

But Jesus often withdrew to the lonely places and prayed.

It's the first kind that God sets the lonely in families for.

No comments: