Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Project 365: The End


Project 365: The End
Originally uploaded by thyme2003
I finally finished Project 365 Year One. I got the idea from a Blissfully Domestic group on Flickr. They had embarked on the journey of taking one photo a day for a whole year. I learned 4 things from the process:

1. Perfect execution isn't required.
Technically to do this "right" I should have taken a photo a day for 365 straight days. But I didn't. Some days I took zero, some days tens. Some days I processed or made and posted photos but didn't take any. And it took me longer than 365 days. More like 444. Those last 90 days were the hardest. But, I did it.

2. Just focus on the purpose - to make work.
The intent of the rules of the game are to make me make work and if I'm making work I can't help but grow in skill and ability. Some of the photos were really not up to my standards. But, I made work. And if I hadn't been making work, some of those really good photos wouldn't have happened.

3. The impact is something you get by doing.
By doing Project 365, I developed habits that support making work. I carry my tools with me at all times (Can't wait for my new ONA camera purse/bag to make that easier). I pay attention more, looking for opportunities and small worlds at the grocery store, walking to the mailbox, sitting at a table in a restaurant.

4. Little by little, daily discipline moves me toward big goals.
I have 365 more photos that I would have had I not tried this project and stuck with it. Plus several greeting cards which have sold, Christmas cards that I sent out, a family calendar, a calendar for friends and several images I've posted on my blog, all from this project.

Project 365 is something I would like to do for every year for the next 10 years (that's 30,650 photos!) for exactly these benefits.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Thanks for sharing the process and what you learned. I attempted a 365 project last January and made it to day 7, I think. Now I'm encouraged!

Jennifer said...

Kimberly,thank you! You've got a great gift and I'm so glad you use it!