Friday, December 31, 2010

Pile O' Negatives Reduced


All because of Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project I started with the above. That's 18 plastic 3 ring negative carriers or notebooks full of negatives or slides or 4 x 5 transparencies or medium format film.

[You may be saying "Jeez, why don't you just go digital?" Well, I did from 2007 onward but time existed before then. Plus I did an extended tour of duty and lots of work using processes from the 1800s. No digital there then.]

Four hours later I'm down to this. 

Honestly, it doesn't look much better. But, it is. There are only 12 negative carriers now along with the same amount of other stuff on top. There's hope.

The big strides were:
  1. I'm returning one whole negative carrier of images of people or their work back to them. What a hoot to get back in touch after 8 years or so for some. 
  2. I took loads of images as part of various experiments and while I got the learning I no longer need the meticulous record of the experiments themselves.
I still need to manage this mischief down a bit more but this is as good as it's going to get today. Next steps are to:
  1. Move my medium format negatives to the 8 x 10 negative binder. Both have lots of room.
  2. See if I can consolidate my impressive collection of unused copy slides.
Maybe tomorrow. The biggest consolation was finding work I wanted to scan and edit and the fact that culling my 2010 digital image bank just took 30 mins. I need a run now!

No comments: