Thursday, November 25, 2010

Boeuf Bourguignon for Thanksgiving

It was a little over a year ago when I first attempted to cook bœuf bourguignon or The Sacred Vache! My kitchen was not yet remodeled and looks a bit quaint in the photographs. My new kitchen, which emerged after a scant 13 days, is a wonder to work in. Not a day goes by that I don't breath a prayer of thanks for it.

So, this Thanksgiving, I tackled the sacred cow again.  Again it took me 7 hours from empty cupboards to meal on the table but this effort can certainly be made more efficient with some advance planning in the provisioning.  I shopped the day before Thanksgiving. Though I started early at 8:15am, arriving at Dittmer's, the local and best butcher, at 18 minutes after opening bell put me #48 in line. The quality of the stew meat was worth the wait but could have been purchased weeks before and stored at the ready in the freezer.

Rather than the Pyrex dish I used last time (and cracked) this time I had a beautiful blue Le Creuset (snatched up at Tuesday Morning, an off-price store) and a Crate & Barrel casserole both filled with the full dosage of Julia's recipe. One other significant change as well. This time I chose a 90 point Norton Reserva Malbec at Costco and was richly rewarded by the excellent pairing by dinner time.  We had an arugula salad with a light Meyer lemon, olive oil and sea salt dressing.  I was a bit engrossed so I forgot the veg and starch.  Tonight I'll see if I can add some asparagus with shaved aged Manchego and a super simple microwaved baked potato.

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Andi said...

One of my fav dishes, of course I can't make it and rely on my hubby. He's going to make it for my b-day coming you in a month or so, can't wait!

Jennifer said...

Andi, what a lucky girl you are! Happy early birthday!