Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Who Are You?

I've seen the same idea a number of times and in many diverse places this week: Am I / are you living your personal unique calling or are we doing something else?

While reading Phyllis Theroux's The Journal Keeper, I found this quote:

You have a day to perform.
Do anything else, do any number
Of things, occupy your time fully
And yet if you do not do this task,
All your time will have been wasted. - Rumi

In my Crosswalk newsletter, in an article titled "Is Your Work Your Calling or Your Profession," Dan Miller, the author, refers to an old Hasidic tale that addresses the desire of many to be someone else and the importance of being the best unique self we can be. Rabbi Zusya, when he was an old man, said, "In the coming world, they will not ask me: 'Why were you not Moses?' Rather they will ask me: 'Why were you not Zusya?'"

And in the Bible, 1 Corinthians 12:29-31 God didn't give everyone the same job, gifts or skill set.  Some are healers, some are teachers, etc....

I am not sure I am living my unique calling.  But I can ask God to show me. So can you.

No comments: