Sunday, September 12, 2010

Heart of My Heart

For the last month and a half, I have daily enjoyed Heart of My Heart by Kristin Armstrong. It's a book of 365 Reflections on the Magnitude and Meaning of Motherhood.

It was one of the books recommended to me by Sarah Bagby, the owner of Watermark Books, on-line and in Wichita, KS. She had other great recommendations as well.

Originally, I thought of this book for my sister who just had her 2nd child this year. But as I read, day after day, I realized that while Kirsten was a mother of 3 and was writing for mothers, 90% of her reflections were also useful to those who didn't fit that category either because their children were grown and gone or because they had none either yet or to begin with.

Kirstin has a unique platform from which to speak.  She's a runner, writes for the magazine Runner's World, is a mom, is a single mom, is a divorcĂ©e, was formerly married to 6 time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong. She's an accessible role model both admirable and unfinished.

I'll still buy this book for my sister.  She's a mom and a runner herself just like Kirstin. But I'll keep this copy for me.

No comments: