Sunday, August 15, 2010

Unexpected Solutions #3

I've been wrestling for about 6 months to find a way to take photos while running.

I thought I had the perfect solution in a very small and capable Canon S90. And it did work while I was not concerned about form or training for pace.  But now that I've gotten all serious about Chi Running and the Jack Daniel's Red Plan which includes running at specific paces, my solution, camera held in one hand or the other, doesn't work anymore. The camera is very light but it's surprising how heavy it becomes when I run.  My shoulders tense up with the effort of balancing my arm swing and I get tired faster. This camera is too big to put in my running shorts pocket and if you put it in a jacket pocket it bounces around like a 2 year old on a sugar high.

This morning, I had an epiphany. I could try putting my camera in the back pockets of a cycling jersey. The pockets are big enough and have elastic around the top to keep things from bouncing out. The jerseys also have an elastic hem which may or may not keep bouncing to a minimum.

I've missed sharing a lot of wonderful pics because I didn't take my camera with me. I really hope this works.
[Update: I tried this today on my run.  It didn't work.  The camera hopped around in my back pocket like a maniac so I gave it up:(]
If you're interested in some other [more successful] unexpected solutions here are a couple of links:

Unexpected Solutions #2
Unexpected Solutions #1

No comments: