Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Balance and Stumbling Feet

That feeling of having lost the recipe, being knocked off the path, off balance and trying to return, though disoriented and dizzy, is a persistent one for me.  One day in seven, usually a Monday when I'm rested and have a clear plan for the week, I feel balanced and the day unfolds in a way that makes me feel whole.  I wish it was more often.

Eugene Peterson wrote the book A Long Obedience in the Same Direction; Discipleship in an Instant Society.  He speaks into my off-balance life and reassures me that repeated efforts to again find the center line in the road are part of the process.

Running the race in such a way as to win the prize takes endurance and persistence. Clinging to an outright acknowledgement of weakness is required because we can't make it on our own, we need God's power and His power shows best in my weakness.

Psalm 116:8 says, "For you O Lord have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling that I may walk before the Lord in the land of the living." That would be now. The psalmist advises my soul to be at rest because the Lord has delivered me in this way.

My interim conclusion is that I may feel very unbalanced, but I must get up, dress up and show up again and again, at rest in my soul because the Lord is keeping me on track.

No comments: