Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Place for the Personal Journal

I used to keep a personal journal and a work notebook.  At some point it got to be too much to carry 2 books and I began to make personal entries in my work notebook, a red Moleskin.  But, as you might expect, since they are in my work notebook, these time outs are not fearless searching inventories or bare knuckled questions.  My personal entries are my prayer requests for the day focused on the immediate and written in the early morning.

Twice in the last 2 days I've heard women I respect talk about how important having a journal is to them.  Dorothea Grimes Farrow, author, Phd and businesswoman talks about corralling random observations on stickies during the day and collecting them at home in her journal.  Andi over at Misadventures with Andi talks about travel journals, well, any kind of journal really.

That space between a blog entry, meant for public consumption, and a prayer meant for private consumption is a journal entry. And it might be time to start one again, to lay claim to a personal life with personal expression in a personal journal.

2 comments:

Andi said...

Thanks for the shout out Jennifer, I love the new blog look. I carry around two spiral notebooks with me during the day, one for work notes and one for personal notes. I started doing that when a co-worker got fired a year ago and they wouldn't let her take a notebook from work even though it had only personal notes, but that actual notebook was from the office supply inventory. That made me cognizant of separating the two, and I am lost without something to write down odd thoughts when I have them, so I am resigned to carry two!

Jennifer said...

Thanks Andi for stopping by and for commenting on the new blog look. Your story about the co-worker was a good warning. Fortunately, I even buy my own work notebooks. But I too am resigned now to carrying 2.