Saturday, January 23, 2010

You Gotta Have Faith

George Michael sings a dramatic and spirited song called "You Gotta Have Faith". I listened to it over and over again when it came out in the mid-eighties not too long before I became a Christian.

These days, when I'm struggling to make a decision as a Christian, the refrain from that song is back in my head.  Why do I, or maybe you too, struggle with indecision? Why is this so hard?  Well, between 1am and 3am, while I couldn't sleep, I made a list:

1. I don't have the facts and info I would like to have.
2. I don't trust the facts that I do have.
3. I don't trust my ability to make the right decision (even if I have all the facts). In fact, I'm pretty sure I'll sell myself short.
4. I wonder if there's something better out there just around the corner.
5. I think the decision will last forever (only rarely is this true.)

But, as a Christian, I'm supposed to be thinking differently about this. Here's what God tells me in His word:

1. I have plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for a hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11)
2. That he knows how to give good to his kids. "If you then who are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him." Matthew 7:11
3. That if you think He's a hard master, he will be.  If you hide the talent he has given you in fear of him, it will be taken from you. But if you work to multiply it you will be put in charge of more things. (Matthew 25:14-28)

All this tells me is that you gotta have faith.  That I have to trust him to bless me in it.  But what if I make the wrong decision. That too isn't too much for God.  Just look at the crappy decisions some of the people in the Old Testament made or even the circumstances they found themselves in and what God did with that:

1. Joseph - sold as a slave by his brothers (pretty bad circumstances) but God eventually raised him to Pharoah's right hand man in order to save the Israelites. Pretty big role.
2. Moses - made a very bad decision to kill a guy and had to leave the country but God eventually raised him up to lead His people out of Egypt.
3. Gideon - a real chicken (hey, we hang out together) who decided not to fight but God raised him up to free His people as a warrior through battle.
4. Abraham had his first son with maidservant Hagar rather than with his wife Sarah.  But this decision to accomplish by might what God had promised didn't change God's commitment to give Abraham a son of His promise by Sarah.

Why is it that even when we make bad decisions, good can still happen out of it? Why is it that even when we are in bad circumstances, good can still happen out of it?

 "And we know that in ALL things, God works for the good of those who love him and who are called according to his purpose."

You gotta have faith.

And not only that, but sometimes, you gotta have faith over and over again.  I have to pick up my shield of faith that He is able, that he love me, and put on my belt of truth, that He is able and that He loves me, and use the sword of the Spirit to fight those doubts with He is able and He loves me.  And I have to do it over and over and over again. When I have doubts, claim the truth.  When I have doubts a second later, claim the truth. It is a battle, but with God, you can win.

We gotta have faith.

Remember Joshua. He was a man who saw opportunity where everyone else saw destruction. God made him strong in battle and rewarded his faith.

We gotta have faith.

3 comments:

Dana said...

Love this! Thanks so much for posting it! Have a great day!
ICLW

Listo said...

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

Mitch

daega99 said...

Superb. I'll remember that!