Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Morning Coffee and Amazing Women

As I sip my cup of morning coffee - something my husband said last night in passing is close to summarizing what I got out of two books: The Widow of Clicquot and The Gospel According to Coco Chanel.

"Do what you can with what you have."

Perhaps it's redundant but it feels more complete to say

"Do what you can with what you have where you are."

Both authors make this point also. Karbo for Coco - Chanel rode the horses of her lover as his mistress. Jodphurs became part of her fashion vocabulary. She did what she could with what she had (access to horses, stables, riding clothes) where you are. For the Widow, when her husband died early in life and in the development of the wine business, she decided to continue the business and manage it herself.

Both of these French women, one from the 1700s to 1800s and the other in the 1900s, went on to become amazingly successful financially and in their impact on culture by doing what they could with what they had where they were.

I'm going to try this out.

1 comment:

richard said...

It is not enough to "do what you can with what you have", but you must also believe that "what you have and what you are doing is good enough".

I constantly have to battle the impulse to "improve" whatever it is I have, rather than letting it be "good enough".