Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Where's Your Pencil?


My productive working time for rough hewn is before and after to do lists, on the edges of sleep after the lights are out or before my first cup of coffee.  Then I'm particularly receptive to shapes in the mist, things become, they step forward to be recognized, listened to, honored, to be pulled the rest of the way into the lamp light. If I go to sleep or sally forth into my day without writing these shapes down, they are lost, doomed to the eternal in between.

Twyla Tharp, in her book The Creative Habit tells a story about a young boy who finally got to meet his baseball idol and asked for an autograph....only there was no pencil to be found. She advises that to capture our creative genius, we need to be equipped at all times for opportunity.

Going to bed with a pen and journal by my bed are my equivalents of having a pencil ready in case I get an autograph opportunity. In fact, this post is entirely due to this practice. And traveling around with my camera in  my car is another equivalent.

What's your equivalent?

2 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

Happy blogoversary!

Happy new year!

Jennifer said...

Teena in Toronto - thank you!!! and Happy New Year to you too:)