Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Death of a Blonde


After being born a towhead followed by decades of being blonde or making my hair Marilyn Monroe blonde, I've finally given up the platinum look....for chocolate.  My hairdresser calls it gold...but I think it's precisely 72% cocoa.

A few months ago I was inspired by a before and after picture that I no longer have of a woman with formerly black hair dyed platinum who decided to go to a more orange blossom honey color that favored her skin tones.  She looked so much more integrated and dimensional.  In her interview she talked about how people now responded to her as a person, not as a stereotype of hair.

Now, there's a lot to be said for hiding in stereotypes.  It gives you the advantage of surprise for one thing and predictability for another. But my blonde hair seemed to be constricting my expression of me in some way.  Now that I'm no longer blonde, I'm still me, but I'm also someone different, because people see me differently, respond to me differently.

I can see the re-evaluation flickering across faces and in most cases, I can see a decision to go deeper with me.

As for myself, I feel freed...and more whole.

3 comments:

gerardinebaugh said...

I understand about feeling differently, and having people respond to you differently.

I have been told I look like a totally different person when I change my hair- style and/or color.

I thought it was silly -the reaction.
Then I enjoyed it and went with the flow- until my hair grew out..

It is interesting, sad and annoying all in the same breath.

Gerardine Baugh
http://gerardinebaugh.wordpress.com

Barbara said...

I can't wait to see an updated picture of this 72% cocoa girlie!! Love ya,
B

Jennifer said...

Thanks Gerardine for your comment. It's good to have company. Barbara, thank you and hugs:)from 72% cocoa girlie