Saturday, November 21, 2009

May Light Pass Through Me


May Light Pass Through Me
Originally uploaded by thyme2003

I love light. I love it shining through things, on things, around things and I photograph that as often as possible. What's important about doing that? I got curious and started to explore starting with one of my favorite resources, the dictionary.


Translucence means permitting light to pass through but diffusing it so that persons, objects, etc., on the opposite side are not clearly visible. 


Transparent goes a step further; having the property of transmitting rays of light through its substance so that bodies situated beyond or behind can be distinctly seen.


But it isn't whether the bodies situated beyond can be seen that fascinates me so much as it is what the act of being either translucent or transparent does to the object itself. The act of transmitting light reveals the inner structure of the object and something about the nature of the source.


The Bible has some interesting things to say about that:


For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. 2 Corinthians 4:6 (New International Version)


In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:16 (New International Version)


Particularly during this Thanksgiving and Christmas season, may His light pass through me and bring Him praise.

6 comments:

kelsimad said...

Such a wonderful post.
Lighting is something that I need to study more in my photography. I love that "magical hour" of the day and the beautiful quality of light it provides.

Laurel said...

Have you heard about those LED tattoos? It's just aout the coolest use of lights that I've ever heard of.

LaToya said...

Wonderful words. I used these two scriptures last month with christian jack-o-lanterns.

Aggie Villanueva said...

Magic hour is so, well... magical. I too wish I could learn more and more about light to use in my photography. Thankx for the reminder.

HM said...

Interesting post. I am interested in photography but I only have a digital camera that is quite bad at capturing light unless your hands are steady as hell. My hands are shaky so I usually end up using the flash which does not show the real lighting present during that event.

Beautiful connection to the Bible though.

Jennifer said...

HM, I just wrote a post on an alternative way to do low light photography here http://curiosityquotient.blogspot.com/2009/11/food-photography.html.
Kelsimad, LaToya and HM, I'm so glad you enjoyed the tie to the Bible. Laurel and Aggie, thanks for joining in!