Sunday, November 1, 2009

Grand Central


Grand Central
Originally uploaded by thyme2003

Last weekend we were out of town in Portland on vacation so I didn't have a chance to put together a menu plan for last week. Fortunately we could live off the fat of the land, the leftovers I had stored up in the freezer from cooking portions for 6 when we are only 2.

While in Portland, we visited the famous Grand Central Bakery in the Hawthorne and had some delightful pastries. They were just releasing their first cookbook, aptly named The Grand Central Baking Book. It had an interesting recipe for Banana Walnut Bread and Pumpkin Spice Bread. My husband offered to buy me a copy and I was sold.

The Banana Walnut bread was fresh and beautiful, much better than any box banana bread I had ever made. The Pumpkin Spice Bread was autumnal and wonderful but I still favored the transformed experience of the Banana Nut.

This week, now that we're back in the groove, here's what I'm giving a go:

Le Menu

  • Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies (The Grand Central Baking Book, 61)
  • Black Cherry & Raspberry Kuchen (The Grand Central Baking Book, 48)
  • Sautéed Chicken Chunks with Harissa and Couscous (Simple to Spectacular, 263)
  • Short Ribs Braised with Mushroom and Pearl Onions and bacon (Simple to Spectacular, 470)
  • Buttered Spinach (Julia Child, 470)
  • Endives à la Flamande (Braised Belgian Endive (Julia Child, 493) Pending new casserole
  • Pomme de Terre Sautées (Julia Child, 526)

No comments: