Sunday, November 22, 2009

Food Photography

We had the good fortune of participating in a team cooked dinner with friends of ours recently. It was a bit of an Iron Chef event in that both of us were trying either new dishes or perfecting recently learned ones.  The light in most houses in the evening is too low to use my regular camera without the flash and once you add the flash, the food looks unappetizing.

I tried something new.  I used my FlipVideo Camera to shoot a very short video of the food, then used the FlipShare software to take a snapshot from the video, then used Photoshop to sharpen, enrich and warm the image. Here are the results.

Confit de Canard

The pale green in the plate provides a nice contrast to the canard legs.  The taupe table cloth is a lighter shade of the chocolate rim of the plate.

Pommes de Terre Sautee

The blue of the bowl provides a nice contrast to the creamy yellow and the brown of the potatoes.  The round shape of the bowl and the oblong shape of the potatoes provide additional contrast.

Poached Pears in Pomegranate Sauce

The piece de resistance in my mind of the meal.  The chocolate rim of the plate is a darker shade of the browns in the Lacey cookie and the pear.  The browns are also the same value (amount of darkness) as the wine sauce.

I'm quite excited now that I can do more food photography.  Doing this experiment with the Flip VideoCamera (High Def) was really worth it.

2 comments:

Andi said...

Confit de canard is one of my favorites - your images are making me crazy - thank goodness I am on my way to Paris today! Andi (IComLeavWe)

Rafael said...

That desert looks yummy