Monday, November 16, 2009

Don Edwards San Francisco National Wildlife Refuge


Heron
Originally uploaded by thyme2003

I've visited this lovely sanctuary twice now, most recently over a lunch hour. The DESF is the first urban wildlife refuge in the US.

I have a passing familiarity with the Kirwin National Wildlife Refuge and it is definitely in a rural area. It was a great surprise to find one smack dab in the middle of the San Francisco Bay Area, 1 mile away from a busy freeway and the same distance from a mega-hi-tech South Bay center.

My timing was imperfect as they were spraying liquid manure on some of the land but the kind ranger, anticipating my distress, pointed me to a hidden floating dock some distance away. Tic tocing along the rock and dirt road in my cloth covered high heels, I discovered that he wasn't joking, there really was a dock.

Down a few steps from the levee and right on the level of the water. It was a great observation platform for all kinds of bird wildlife. I took over 75 pictures (trying to get a good one) in 30 minutes before I needed to head back to the car.

I was worried that the manure stench would cling to my clothes so I spritzed myself with some travel sized perfume that I had handy, apparently for just such an occasion.

The few witnesses to my high heeled performance were a white haired couple reading books on a bench, a few hip high school children and some incredulous minders.

It was definitely different and worth a revisit.

No comments: