Friday, May 15, 2009

Blog Blazers!

About a month ago, I was the fortunate random Winner! of a contest over at Misadventures with Andi.  In addition to a Poken, which I'll get to next month, the prizes consisted of 2 books, one of which I've already read and shared with you, From the Creator of Dooce.com, and the other of which I just finished - Blog Blazers: 40 Top Bloggers Share Their Secrets by Stephane Grenier of FollowSteph.

While I adored Heather's book, Blog Blazers was a bit of a different beast.  The same set of questions asked of 40 bloggers meant I could only read 2 or 3 interviews at a time before I lost track of whose answers were whose.  

Nestled together like that, few of the contributors had unique or memorable answers. Question: "What makes a blog successful?" Answer: "It depends......" One exception was Manolo Blahnik at Shoeblogs.  No wonder.  He comes from outside the technology industry and constantly refers to himself as "the Manolo." Definitely quirky.  His answer to "How long does it take to become a successful blogger?" was refreshing: "Two days.  On the first day the visitor appears. On the second day this visitor comes back to see what's new.  Success!"  While looking for a unique spin I discovered 3 bloggers that I now follow.

While all 40 of these folks are passionate about their topics, this particular framework didn't set them off to best advantage.  At the same time, it appears that Grenier's goal wasn't to make you fall in love but to provide a scientific survey.  And that, he did.

No comments: