Friday, April 17, 2009

Day #6 of BBB Challenge - Tips from the Top

Today's assignment is to learn from other successful bloggers.  I was delighted to learn that Liz Strauss's blog, which I found through the assignment of Day #4, Analyze a Top Blog in Your Niche, is on the list.  Since a familiar "face" seemed a comforting introduction to this task I started with Liz's 10 Reasons Readers Don't Leave Comments.  Three of these were especially pertinent - Doh!

1.  You end your posts with giant general questions like "What do you think of the Big Bang Theory"  Oops!  I've been doing that.  Time to stop!
2. You put up a fence by making me login to comment.  I fixed this one a few weeks back.  It's comforting to see the progress.
3. Your content wasn't fresh and exciting and I couldn't find anything YOU in it.  Ooh, harsh but let's think about it.  I'm looking for ME too so it's entirely possible.

Next up, Maki from Dosh Dosh. I found 2 chords that resonate:
1.  Use blog comments to converse with a prospective collaborator or friend.  Can't wait to extend this one.
2.  I'm not just a writer, I'm an editor-in-chief.  Um, what's that?  It means I'm responsible for the "editorial calendar" (which requires that I develop one), the content direction (like what niche am I aiming for), analyzing how to use this piece of writing to improve the publication, and keeping up with reader's needs and competitors.  I've always wanted to be an executive. Here's a chance to really practice.

There were lots more references on Darren Rowse's page but this is enough for now.  Maybe my editorial calendar should include doing the 31 Day Challenge again in a few months.  I guess I get to think about that!

1 comment:

Andi said...

I think that the 31DBBB should be done at least once a year. It helps you keep on your toes! Guess what? You won my book and Poken giveaway! Send me you email and address so that I can send them to you at misadventureswithandi AT gmail DOT com