Wednesday, April 8, 2009

31 Days to Build a Better Blog


Andi over at Misadventures with Andi turned me on to Build a Better Blog in 31 Days over at ProBlogger.   It seemed like a good idea to me to improve the content and the experience for those who read my blog.  

The task for Day 1 is to write an elevator pitch: 

“An elevator pitch is an overview of an idea for a product, service, or project. The name reflects the fact that an elevator pitch can be delivered in the time span of an elevator ride (for example, thirty seconds or 100-150 words).” - Wikipedia

Right now I'm not even sure what my mission statement is for this blog.  I gave myself all of 2009 to just practice writing but eventually I hope to find where my passions overlap with the world's needs and write about that.  So far, sports injury treatment is the hottest topic but that's not something I have a big supply of entries on.  I'm not there yet.

I know what my blog isn't; it doesn't have a single subject area.  For example, it's not a gardening blog, nor a perfume blog nor a sports blog but it has posts about all those things.  One thing I spend a lot of time on but don't write about much is business. 

After 4 months of blogging I have a clear idea of the benefits: 
1. It helps me keep current with Web 2.0 technology 
2. Gives me practice integrating my own photos and words to articulate ideas and connect with people
3. It gives me a creative outlet outside of work
4. It helps build relationships
5. It helps me practice punctuation and grammar (when I take the time to look up what I should be doing at that critical juncture!)

Lots more to learn! 

2 comments:

Andi said...

Hi Jennifer - I think just knowing what you are getting out of it is a start! For me the most important benefit I get is the same as your #3 and making wonderful blogosphere benefits has been wonderful! The think I like about Darren's project is that he is not supe adamant about the "process" so you can take and leave what wotks for you. With your list above you already completed Day 2's assignment!

Jennifer said...

Thanks Andi!